Skip to main content

Becoming a host family in New Zealand


There are no official regulations concerning au pairs in New Zealand, however the information below is the generally accepted guidelines.

Basic requirements

You are eligible to be a host family in New Zealand if:

  • you have at least 1 child under 18 living with you
  • you are able to offer an individual room and 3 meals a day
  • you speak local language (English) in your daily life
  • you are willing to host your au pair for up to 6 months
  • you are of a different nationality than your au pair

General information



Your au pair will look after your children and will help you out with light household chores. Discuss your duties beforehand and include all the points you agree upon in your contract.


Pocket money
There is no official regulation concerning the amount of pocket money au pairs should receive in New Zealand, but it usually is between 190 NZD and 230 NZD. Au pairs usually enter New Zealand on a working holiday visa, therefore they enjoy the same benefits and rights under New Zealand Employment Law as any other employee in New Zealand (including annual and sick leave and public holidays).

Board & Lodging

Au pairs are entitled to free board and lodging even in case of illness. You should be able to offer your au pair a separate room.


Travel expenses
Au pairs should bear the cost of their trip themselves.

Working hours

There is no official regulation concerning the amount of hours an au pair should work, but they usually are between 30 and 40 hours per week, babysitting included.


Length of stay
An au pair can work for a maximum of 6 months for the same family.

Free time

There is no official regulation, but au pairs are usually entitled to at least 2 free days per week, which should be a Sunday once a month.


Holiday entitlement is usually 2 weeks of paid holiday for a 6-months stay.


It is recommended that you draw up a contract with your au pair. The contract should include au pair pocket money, holidays and duties. Click here for a sample contract.


Language courses
Au pairs should be granted enough time off to attend a language course. The au pair will bear the cost of the language course him/herself.


If you require your au pair to drive, you must provide him/her with a car, pay for car insurance and ensure that the car is well maintained. You must also provide fuel or give money to your au pair to pay for fuel for the car. Remember your au pair is young and comes from a different country where she/he might drive on the other side of the road. She/he may not have much driving experience. We recommend that you provide your au pair with driving lessons until she/he is confident enough to drive your car.


Your au pair will have to make sure to be covered by a medical insurance him/herself.