Skip to main content

Becoming a host family in France


Under French law only some aspects of the au pair work are regulated. Here is the link to the official page in the French Administration website.

Basic requirements

You are eligible to be a host family in France if:

  • you have at least 1 child under 18 living with you
  • you are able to offer an individual room
  • you speak local language (French) in your daily life
  • you are willing to allow the au pair to attend a language course
  • you are willing to host your au pair for a minimum of 3 months
  • you register your au pair at the URSSAF and pay his/her contributions

General information



Your au pair will look after your children and will help you out with light household chores. Discuss your duties beforehand and include all the points you agree upon in your contract.


Pocket money
Under French law, host families must pay au pairs pocket money which corresponds to 75-90% of the minimum wage (this sum is re-evaluated each year, for instance in 2016 it amounts to between €264 and €316.80 per month). You need to define the amount in the au pair contract.

In addition, as you will be an employer in the programme 'stagiaire aide familial étranger', you need to register your au pair at the URSSAF and pay employer's contributions.

Board & Lodging
Au pairs are entitled to free board and lodging even in case of illness. You should be able to offer your au pair a separate room.


Travel expenses
Au pairs should bear the cost of their trip themselves.

Working hours

Au pairs should not work more than 5 hours a day and 30 hours a week, including babysitting.



Length of stay
An au pair can come from between 3 months up to a maximum of 2 years. Most au pairs stay for between 6 and 12months.

Free time

At least 1 rest day per week, which should be a Sunday once a month.


No regulation concerning that, therefore you should come to an agreement with your au pair beforehand (in general an au pair is entitled to 2 weeks holiday every 6 months of employment).


It is recommended that you draw up a contract with your au pair. The contract should include au pair pocket money, holidays and duties. Click here for a sample contract.


Language courses
Your au pair should be granted enough time off to attend a language course. The au pair will bear the cost of the language course him/herself. However, you should help your au pair enrol in a language course, especially when it comes to non-EU au pairs, as they need proof of enrolment to obtain their visa.

If you require your au pair to drive, you must provide him/her with a car, pay for car insurance and ensure that the car is well maintained. You must also provide fuel or give money to your au pair to pay for fuel for the car. Remember your au pair is young and comes from a different country where she/he might drive on the other side of the road. She/he may not have much driving experience. We recommend that you provide your au pair with driving lessons until she/he is confident enough to drive your car.



EU citizens holding a European Health Insurance Card are covered by the French National Health Service. Non-EU citizens should be insured by their host family at the URSSAF within 8 days upon their arrival.