Skip to main content

Becoming a host family in Italy


Under Italian law only some aspects of au pair work are regulated. Here is the link to the official page in Italian.

Basic requirements

You are eligible to be a host family in Italy if:

  • you have at least 1 child under 18 living with you
  • you are able to offer an individual room
  • you speak local language (Italian) in your daily life
  • you are willing to allow the au pair to attend a language course
  • you are of a different nationality than your au pair

General information



Your au pair will look after your children and will help you out with light household chores. Discuss your duties beforehand and include all the points you agree upon in your contract.


Pocket money
The average amount of pocket money received by an au pair is between €250 and €300 per month according to the working hours.

Board & Lodging

Au pairs are entitled to free board and lodging even in case of illness. You should be able to offer your au pair a separate room.


Travel expenses
Au pairs should bear the cost of their trip themselves.

Working hours

Under Italian law au pairs should not work more than 5 hours per day (that means 30 hours per week, babysitting included).


Length of stay
An au pair can come from between 1 month up to a maximum of 2 years. Most au pairs stay for between 6 and 12 months.

Free time

Under Italian law au pairs are entitled to at least 1 rest day per week, which should be a Sunday once a month.


No regulation concerning that, therefore you should come to an agreement with your au pair beforehand (in general an au pair is entitled to 2 weeks holiday every 6 months of employment).


It is recommended that you draw up a contract with your au pair. The contract should include au pair pocket money, holidays and duties. Click here for a sample contract.


Language courses
Your au pair should be granted enough time off to attend a language course. The au pair will bear the cost of the language course him/herself.


If you require your au pair to drive, you must provide him/her with a car, pay for car insurance and ensure that the car is well maintained. You must also provide fuel or give money to your au pair to pay for fuel for the car. Remember your au pair is young and comes from a different country where she/he might drive on the other side of the road. She/he may not have much driving experience. We recommend that you provide your au pair with driving lessons until she/he is confident enough to drive your car.


Au pairs should bear the cost of their medical or travel insurance themselves, however you should contact your local health unit (ASL) to check whether your au pair can register with the Italian national health system.