Skip to main content

Becoming an au pair in Italy


Under Italian law only some aspects of au pair work are regulated. Here is the link to the official page in Italian.

Am I eligible to be an au pair in Italy?

You are eligible to be an au pair in Italy if:

  • you are aged between 17 and 30
  • you have a basic knowledge of Italian
  • you are single and without children
  • you are able to afford your travel expenses
  • you have a health certificate no older than 3 months prior to departure stating his/her health conditions
  • initially the contract cannot be over 1 year (it can be extended afterwards for a maximum period of 2 years)

General information


To look after your host children and help out with light household chores. Discuss your duties beforehand and include all the points you agree upon in your contract. Please note that under Italian law the contract has to be signed before the arrival of the au pair in Italy or at the latest within one week upon arrival.


Pocket money
An au pair in Italy usually receives between €250 and €300 per month according to the working hours.

Board and Lodging
Your own private room and food 7 days per week, even in the case of illness.



Travel expenses
Au pairs should bear the cost of their round trip themselves.

Working hours
Au pairs and host families can flexibly agree upon working hours per week, however under Italian law au pairs should not work more than 5 hours per day (that means 30 hours per week, babysitting included).


Length of stay
You can be an au pair in Italy from 1 month to a maximum of 2 years.

Free time
Under Italian law au pairs are entitled to at least 1 rest day per week, which should be a Sunday once a month.


No regulation concerning that, therefore you should come to an agreement with the host family beforehand (in general an au pair is entitled to 2 weeks holiday every 6 months of employment).

It is recommended that you draw up a contract with your host family. The contract should include au pair pocket money, holidays and duties. Click here for a sample contract.


Language courses
Au pairs should be granted enough time off to attend a language course. The au pair will bear the cost of the language course him/herself. The host family should help the au pair finding a suitable course (minimum 20 hours per week for non-EU citizens).

If your host family requires you to drive in Italy, they must provide you with a car, pay for your car insurance, ensure that the car is well maintained and provide fuel or give you money to pay for fuel for the car. Holders of a driving licence issued by an EU member state can drive in Italy as long as their existing driving licence is valid. For more information about driving in Italy when holding a foreign licence visit the official website of the Italian Department of Transport.


EU citizens holding a European Health Insurance Card are covered by the Italian national health service, non-EU citizens should take out private medical insurance or check with their host family if they can register at the national health system.

Documents needed for EU and EFTA states citizens

The following documents will be required:

  • valid national ID or passport
  • host declaration (Dichiarazione di ospitalità). This is a document that states that you will be staying with your host family during your stay and it has to be presented by your host family to the nearest police station within 48 hours from your arrival.

If you are staying for longer than 3 months, you will need also to:

  • register at the town hall (Anagrafe) to obtain a residency certificate
  • prove that you have sufficient means to support yourself during your stay
  • apply for a Tax ID number (codice fiscale) at the tax office (Agenzia delle entrate)
  • register with the national health service (SSN – Servizio Sanitario Nazionale), unless you already have private health insurance covering you during your stay. In order to register you will need your residency certificate (iscrizione anagrafica) or self-certification of your address in Italy (autocertificazione) and your Tax ID Number (codice fiscale)

Visa information for non-EU citizens

Au pairs staying less than 3 months can apply for a tourist/holiday visa, au pairs staying for longer than 3 months should apply for a student visa.


Tourist/Holiday visa

To check if you need a visa to enter Italy please visit the website of what documents are required visit the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Citizens coming from some countries may only be required to have a valid passport. Whether you need a visa or not, you will need medical insurance to cover you during your stay.


Student Visa

To submit your visa application, you need to present the following documents to your local Italian embassy or consulate:

  • certificate of enrolment in an Italian language course offered by one of the approved language schools
  • valid passport
  • proof of accommodation (or host declaration) stamped by the local police
  • proof of sufficient means to support yourself during your stay
  • proof of purchase or that you have the means to purchase flights to and from Italy
  • travel and medical insurance
  • work permit. Your family should present the contract signed by both parties to their local employment office, Ufficio provinciale del lavoro, and in some cases they will need to have it stamped by the local police too
  • declaration of no objection (nulla osta) provided by the immigration office

The visa will be issued for the length of time of the enrolment in school.

Within 8 days from your arrival, you will also need to apply for a residence permit (Permesso di soggiorno). In order to do that you should go with your host family to the nearest town hall, post office or immigration office and present the following documents:

  • application form
  • valid passport and entry visa
  • a copy of your passport and visa
  • 4 identical and recent passport sized photos
  • a revenue stamp worth €16

Citizens from Australia, Canada and New Zealand should apply for a Working Holiday Visa. To apply for it you will need to follow the procedure and present the documents listed above for the Student visa. Your host family will need to apply for your work permit when you arrive and after receiving it you should apply for a declaration of no objection (nulla osta). For more information please contact your local Italian embassy or consulate.

Please bear in mind that a work permit in Italy is valid for 6 months.


For more information regarding being an au pair in Italy see