Becoming a host family in France
Under French law only some aspects of the au pair work are regulated. Here is the link to the official page in the French Administration website.
You are eligible to be a host family in France if:
- you have at least 1 child under 18 living with you
- you are able to offer an individual room
- you speak local language (French) in your daily life
- you are willing to allow the au pair to attend a language course
- you are willing to host your au pair for a minimum of 3 months
- you register your au pair at the URSSAF and pay his/her contributions
Your au pair will look after your children and will help you out with light household chores. Discuss your duties beforehand and include all the points you agree upon in your contract.
In addition, as you will be an employer in the programme 'stagiaire aide familial étranger', you need to register your au pair at the URSSAF and pay employer's contributions.
Board & Lodging
Au pairs should not work more than 5 hours a day and 30 hours a week, including babysitting.
Length of stay
At least 1 rest day per week, which should be a Sunday once a month.
It is recommended that you draw up a contract with your au pair. The contract should include au pair pocket money, holidays and duties. Click here for a sample contract.