Skip to main content

Becoming a host family in China


There is no official au pair programme in China, however young people aged between 18 and 29 who qualify for an F-visa or an X-visa, can go to China and work as an au pair.

Basic requirements

You are eligible to be a host family in China if:

  • you have at least 1 child under 18 living with you
  • you are able to offer an individual room and 3 meals a day
  • you speak Chinese in your daily life
  • you are willing to pay up to 5,000 RMB for the au pair’s flight
  • you are of a different nationality than your au pair

General information



Your au pair will look after your children and will help you out with light household chores. You can ask your au pair to teach your children a foreign language. Discuss your duties beforehand and include all the points you agree upon in your contract.


Pocket money
Au pairs in China are entitled to receive at least  1,000 RMB monthly.

Board & Lodging

Au pairs are entitled to free board and lodging even in case of illness. You should be able to offer your au pair a separate room.


Travel expenses
Chinese host families are expected to reimburse the au pair for her air travel expenses up to 5,000 RMB.

Working hours

There is no official regulation concerning the amount of hours an au pair should work, but they usually are between 25 and 30 hours per week, babysitting included.


Length of stay
Au pair placements in China go from a minimum of 3 months to a maximum of 6 months according to the visa type requested by the au pair. 

Free time

There is no official regulation, but au pairs are usually entitled to at least 2 free days per week.


Holiday entitlement is usually at least 1 week of paid holiday for a 6-month stay.


It is recommended that you draw up a contract with your au pair. The contract should include au pair pocket money, holidays and duties. Click here for a sample contract. If you’re looking for an au pair through an agency, the agency will look after the contract.


Language courses
Au pairs should be granted enough time off to attend a language course.


If you require your au pair to drive, you must provide him/her with a car, pay for car insurance and ensure that the car is well maintained. You must also provide fuel or give money to your au pair to pay for fuel for the car. Remember your au pair is young and comes from a different country where she/he might drive on the other side of the road. She/he may not have much driving experience. We recommend that you provide your au pair with driving lessons until she/he is confident enough to drive your car.


Au pairs should take out medical and travel insurance.